What do we mean by Domain Knowledge. How it is different from functional knowledge?
Generally people think that functional knowledge and domain knowledge is the same. However TechnoFunc defines Domain Knowledge as;
"Knowledge about the environment in which IT systems operates, encompassing the understanding of industry dynamics and business processes of the target enterprise."
We classify domain Knowledge as the knowledge of the environment affecting I T system decision and implementation environment.
Domain knowledge is the knowledge of Industry and Business:
- Understanding of the key Challenges and Risks and Opportunities; faced by the industry in general and business in particular.
- Understanding of specific Methods applicable to business.
- Knowledge about the Competition and their advantages.
To gain expertise on a particular domain one should focus on:
- Gaining Detailed knowledge of Industry Segments.
- Gaining Knowledge of Business & Operational Dynamics.
- Understanding Challenges, Risks and Opportunities of Industry Segments.
- Gaining Knowledge of Competitive Environment.
- Keeping yourself in touch with Economy and Business Environment.
- Understanding the Industry Specific Business Requirements.
- Knowledge of Industry Specific Specialized IT Solutions and offerings in the marketplace.
- Knowledge of Domain Best Practices.
Now lets see some of the key leadership skills that are valued most in IT in our next discussion.
Download this Chapter